Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some thoughts on the extended cross (w/ video)

+6
jolo_mat2008
jhameel_killua03
jbcañares
bonoan1027
jusay_mitch29
Jome
10 posters

Go down

Some thoughts on the extended cross (w/ video) Empty Some thoughts on the extended cross (w/ video)

Post by Jome Sun May 25, 2008 10:07 am

I don't exactly know why some people are so interested with the extended cross, especially here in the forums. For one, I truly believe that the only people who must study it right now are the ones who are really, really fast (think JB or Chia) because I see no point in trying to establish an xcross when it's just gonna save you 5 seconds or so when you're just sub-30. Large deduction from the time, but not worth the loss of good inspection and look ahead time.

Anyway, this post is mainly due to a request from one thread (sorry, tinatamad akong tignan kung sino, si bnonymous yata yun) na gumawa raw ako ng video. Actually, tinatamad lang talaga akong gumawa, pero since masnakakatamad ang wala, gumawa na lang ako from some random scramble from JNet (Oo, random siya at di ko kinuha somewhere; check the JNet window, ang dami dung 0.xx na times dahil naghahanap ako ng magandang xcross sample) ng semi-tut.

Now, two points that I would like to debunk:

1. Color neutrality - Some consider this an advantage. I beg to differ. While this can be trained (this comes naturally to others, ie. Thrawst), the biggest downside of color neutrality is that you immediately see a lot of pieces and all their possible movements. This seems good at first, pero sa totoo lang, it forces people to inspect in a different light. I cannot explain it enough pero suffice to say that it does not "strike" your eyes as well as white (kung white cross ka). This is especially true for people na nagsisimula pa lang sa CN training or hindi talaga natural ang CN sa kanila.

2. Block building - I also started using the Petrus block to make xcrosses, kasi ang simple ng concept. Build a block, then bring down two edges. What I failed to anticipate that time was having a block but ending up with edges in bad positions (bad orientations, no "chains", one face away, etc.), resulting into insanely high move counts (15 moves for an xcross? Not worth it.). Ang nakita ko rin ditong problem is this: it must go hand in hand with CN. Why? Because if you're a single color crosser, the hard part is actually looking for a possible block. Then balik na naman tayo sa argument ng CN and umikot na etcetc.

====

When I do see an xcross (see, because I do not attempt it with every scramble), I usually see it from another angle: "good" second layer edges, or second layer edges that are at most only one move away from their correct position. The reason is pretty simple: You can try to rotate it an indefinite number of times to connect to its corner (Note: Only if the corner is EASY to conjugate) and it won't have to leave its place. Kumbaga, iwas iwas lang. This is better kung may good cross piece pa siya na kasama kasi mabilis niyang "maiikot" ang faces kapag gumawa ka ng cross "chains".

Ang disadvantages nito, marami at malaki rin. The basic disadvantage is dapat meron kang intense imagination. As in sobrang sobra. I don't have that either, pero ang dami ko nang ginawang attempts dati so meron akong idea kung paano magikot ng corners and edges along with the cross. Second is hindi siya always possible (pero palagi ko na lang sinasabi 'to). Third, may chance na lumaki ang move count mo kapag nagkamali ka dahil kailangan rin ng anticipation and lookahead.

Ang advantage lang nito is few, but quite big: Hindi kailangan color neutral, kung tama ang pagkakagawa, pwedeng isabay na sa cross, mababang move count (sobrang baba, sa video ko, 9 moves xcross lang), hindi mo kailangan gumawa ng blocks, at may chance na at least ma-preserve mo man lang ang isang pair kung di mo talaga maipasok sa cross phase.

Tama na muna sa salita. Tinatamad na ulit ako. I'll just upload the video and post it here. Scramble and solution are in the description. Any comments and uproars are most welcome.

As a sidenote, the first scramble in both the 7th and 8th PCAWCs have xcrosses (actually, just pairs that can easily be inserted). I advise that you check them out dahil sobrang dali lang (My PB was there and it was an xcross attempt, clocked in at 12.79s). Thanks.