Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Times and Look Ahead

+2
tungkel_08
Tharis
6 posters

Go down

Times and Look Ahead Empty Times and Look Ahead

Post by Tharis Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:20 am

Hi all!

Well, i've searched on "Look Ahead" and two topics appeared, but as you might know, I don't speak/read tagalog and consequently, I didn't understand most of what was said, so here are my questions and problems.

I live in Portugal and we only have few Cubers, most of them don't have < 1m times (only 3, one's me). Ernesto Fernández and Goliath company (from Spain) are organizing the FIRST competition to be held here. You can see it @ WCA site.

As everyone, I'm trying to get my times MUCH better. I followed this advice/tutorial when I used Begginer's Method and learned F2L intuitive and after this I've learned simple OLLs (the ones with top cross) and PLLs (ok, 6 missing, R perms and another 2).

I'm with 33->39 secs regular times and I have a DIY A. Following the above advice, I should have a minus 10 secs average... Is that really true?

I have some problems when cubing:

- Sometimes the cube breaks (this means that if I want to do an R, the layer doens't rotate, because it stucks on e.g. the back layer). I loose it a bit, but when it is loose, it is for me hard to control it and sometimes it pops.
- I have some difficults making Fs and Bs without losing some time.
- I lose most of time finding the corresponding pieces of the F2L. I try to look ahead, but sometimes it is difficult.
- Another moment that makes me losing time is the OLL and PLL recogniton.

What can I do to solve this?

The competition will be held on the 29th this month and I want to go there with sub 30 averages not to make bad figure.

Is it possible to achieve?

Regards
Tharis

P.S.: Plz, WRITE IN ENGLISH.
Tharis
Tharis
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Times and Look Ahead Empty Re: Times and Look Ahead

Post by tungkel_08 Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:22 am

@tharis

well here's my advice for you

1. execute your OLL and PLL again and again meaning REPEATEDLY so you can have an easy recognition and let your hand muscles memorize the algorithm not by just memorizing the letters.
(this can help you recognize each algorithm easily)

RESULT: your fingertricks will have smooth execution when an OLL or a PLL occur.(this can take i think just 2 days)

2. try to look ahead. don't think it is hard because it really helps. try to rotate each side of the cube slowly when solving the CROSS so you can easily find the pair you will need for your f2l
(helps you to recognize f2l cases easily and find f2l pairs easily)

RESULT: your eyes can find f2l pairs faster than you are before (this can take atleast a week to improve a bit)

3. always practice your fingertricks. find algorithms that fit your fingertricks.don't make yourself in a hurry when solving the cube, it will result into lock-ups and maybe pop-ups.try to lessen the tension you are feeling

RESULT: smoother fingertricks and smoother execution of algorithms(don't know how long this will take you)

ooopppppppppsssssssssssssss the thing you must need to know

DON'T THINK THAT YOU WILL HAVE A BAD FIGURE WHEN YOU GET HIGH TIMES ALWAYS PUT THIS IN YOUR MIND. EVERY CUBER STARTED SLOWLY.NO CUBER ATTAINED THEIR POSITION NOW WITHOUT GOING THROUGH WHAT YOU ARE NOW. JUST PRACTICE AND TRY TO LEARN BY YOURSELF.LEARNING THROUGH YOURSELF IS THE BEST WAY FOR ME FOR A CUBER TO IMPROVE.

hope this helps
tungkel_08
tungkel_08
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2008-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by neo_cuber Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:58 pm

Well said tungkel_08!

In addition, since we both have the same average and follow the same guide,
it could really help if you more learn PLLs already...

IV - Current Average:30-40 seconds
Goal Average:20-30 seconds
-Now, learn all the PLLs - 21 Algorithms

try this link from badmephisto ( a Sub 18 Canadian Cuber)
http://www.cdf.toronto.edu/~g6karpat/plls/pll.html

Since you still have more than 3 weeks, I think you can make it! cheers

Boa sorte! bounce
neo_cuber
neo_cuber
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-08-07

https://www.youtube.com/user/icebreaker0426

Back to top Go down

Post by sirlawrencearabia Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:03 pm

They both right...Memorize OLL's as many as you can and complete the 21 PLL's...I already saw some speedcubers solving 15sec. below and they said that your cross must not be greater than 7 moves (atleast 2-3 sec)...F2L 8-12sec...PLL 2-4sec and finally PLL 2 sec. hope this help.
sirlawrencearabia
sirlawrencearabia
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by dhee Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:17 pm

elow..

regarding your f2l , try slowsolving, that means slower but consistent turning , meaning you execute the f2l cases in a continous rhythm. in this aspect you will be able to recognize f2l pairs easily.

but remember just do the slowsolving on f2l , you should release 100 % of your speed in OLL and PLL.

try it for 1 week but dont time your self yet.

try solving 300 times a day. Smile

try searching for algos on difficult f2l cases.

and lastly practice and practice but still rest your hands once in a while!

hope you win in your tournament!

happy cubing!
dhee
dhee
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by bonoan1027 Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:44 pm

Okay. Here's my tips. When looking for F2L.... look for the corner of the F2L pair first since edges are easier to spot ( there are only 2 sides on edges while corners have 3 sides which make corners harder to find )

Go slow and look ahead... This is a very good warm up... This means that you solve the cube slow enough that there are no pauses.

Memorize algs that suit you. If you are dominantly left, find algs that are mostly L moves. If you are dominantly right, find algs that are mostly R moves... And don't forget to figure out (on your own) the best way (for you) to perform the algorithm.

Stretch your fingers before a solve ( squeeze your fist for 5 seconds then open and close repeatedly ). This helps me a lot.

Get enough sleep before the competition. I notice I cube better after 10-11 hours of sleep. Wink

Practice

Goodluck!

-Enzo Bonoan

btw... do you know mat almeida? he's under Portugal as his WCA nationality
bonoan1027
bonoan1027
3x3x3
3x3x3

Male
Number of posts : 566
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by tungkel_08 Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:05 pm

@ bonoan

enzo why don't you tell him your secret on memorizing algorithms????

@tharis

enzo gave me this tip "EAT A LOT OF PEANUT BUTTER"

it helps
tungkel_08
tungkel_08
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 470
Registration date : 2008-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post by bonoan1027 Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:37 pm

@tungkel... peanut butter helps in BLD memo Smile)

in memorizing algs, it's supposed to be memorized by knowing the execution of fingertricks by heart and familiarizing yourself with the forms that come out during the alg
bonoan1027
bonoan1027
3x3x3
3x3x3

Male
Number of posts : 566
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Tharis Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:51 am

tungkel_08 wrote:@tharis

well here's my advice for you

1. execute your OLL and PLL again and again meaning REPEATEDLY so you can have an easy recognition and let your hand muscles memorize the algorithm not by just memorizing the letters.
(this can help you recognize each algorithm easily)

RESULT: your fingertricks will have smooth execution when an OLL or a PLL occur.(this can take i think just 2 days)

I do this all the time. While in BUS (going to school), while waiting for the next class, etc, etc. When I'm memorizing a new algorithm, I only memorize a half of it, because the rest comes intuitively, and that's easier to get into my conditional reflects. Smile

tungkel_08 wrote:
2. try to look ahead. don't think it is hard because it really helps. try to rotate each side of the cube slowly when solving the CROSS so you can easily find the pair you will need for your f2l
(helps you to recognize f2l cases easily and find f2l pairs easily)

RESULT: your eyes can find f2l pairs faster than you are before (this can take atleast a week to improve a bit)

I'll try to do it slower and follow your advice.

tungkel_08 wrote:
3. always practice your fingertricks. find algorithms that fit your fingertricks.don't make yourself in a hurry when solving the cube, it will result into lock-ups and maybe pop-ups.try to lessen the tension you are feeling

RESULT: smoother fingertricks and smoother execution of algorithms(don't know how long this will take you)

Ok! Wink

tungkel_08 wrote:
ooopppppppppsssssssssssssss the thing you must need to know

DON'T THINK THAT YOU WILL HAVE A BAD FIGURE WHEN YOU GET HIGH TIMES ALWAYS PUT THIS IN YOUR MIND. EVERY CUBER STARTED SLOWLY.NO CUBER ATTAINED THEIR POSITION NOW WITHOUT GOING THROUGH WHAT YOU ARE NOW. JUST PRACTICE AND TRY TO LEARN BY YOURSELF.LEARNING THROUGH YOURSELF IS THE BEST WAY FOR ME FOR A CUBER TO IMPROVE.

When I mean a bad figure is in the way that "Eyes Also Eat" (like it is said here in Portugal), and 3x and 2x, even if it is 31 and 29 or something like that, the times look much better and my fear (not really fear, but I haven't found the proper word) is that as the competition will be held in Portugal and Spanish Cubers (like Javier París 2x2 WR) are coming, I don't want that our people think Portugal sucks and is the last in everything (because we are in almost everything and it is the main though here).

tungkel_08 wrote:hope this helps
Thanks, it has! Smile

neo_cuber wrote:Well said tungkel_08!

In addition, since we both have the same average and follow the same guide,
it could really help if you more learn PLLs already...

IV - Current Average:30-40 seconds
Goal Average:20-30 seconds
-Now, learn all the PLLs - 21 Algorithms

try this link from badmephisto ( a Sub 18 Canadian Cuber)
http://www.cdf.toronto.edu/~g6karpat/plls/pll.html

Since you still have more than 3 weeks, I think you can make it! cheers

Boa sorte! bounce

First of all, I know most of the PLLs, only 6 missing...
Second, Thanks for badmephisto's site (I've already seen his videos @ YT and they're great) I didn't know he had a page. Smile
Third, CONGRATZ! Didn't know you speak portuguese! Smile (Or have you gone to Google translator? Razz)

sirlawrencearabia wrote:They both right...Memorize OLL's as many as you can and complete the 21 PLL's...I already saw some speedcubers solving 15sec. below and they said that your cross must not be greater than 7 moves (atleast 2-3 sec)...F2L 8-12sec...PLL 2-4sec and finally PLL 2 sec. hope this help.

I get the cross in 2-5 secs, OLL 3-4secs, PLL 3-4 secs. As I said, I lose most of my time in F2L (it takes 20-30 secs). But I'll try to achieve it. Smile Oh, and I forgot to say that I take 3 secs to make the top-cross since I don't know all the OLLs.

dhee wrote:elow..

regarding your f2l , try slowsolving, that means slower but consistent turning , meaning you execute the f2l cases in a continous rhythm. in this aspect you will be able to recognize f2l pairs easily.

but remember just do the slowsolving on f2l , you should release 100 % of your speed in OLL and PLL.

try it for 1 week but dont time your self yet.

Ok, I'll do it! Smile

dhee wrote:try solving 300 times a day. Smile
I solve it 100 times a day, isn't that enough? Sometimes, my hand's muscles hurt... Razz

dhee wrote:try searching for algos on difficult f2l cases.
That's what I'm going to do after learning all the OLLs. For the harders cases on the F2L, I'm already using algos. Smile

dhee wrote:and lastly practice and practice but still rest your hands once in a while!
Yeah! For sure! Smile

dhee wrote:hope you win in your tournament!
Keep dreaming! At least, I'll try to be the best Portuguese in scene! Very Happy

dhee wrote:happy cubing!
Thank you!

bonoan1027 wrote:Okay. Here's my tips. When looking for F2L.... look for the corner of the F2L pair first since edges are easier to spot ( there are only 2 sides on edges while corners have 3 sides which make corners harder to find )

Go slow and look ahead... This is a very good warm up... This means that you solve the cube slow enough that there are no pauses.

Ok, I'll do it! Smile

bonoan1027 wrote:
Memorize algs that suit you. If you are dominantly left, find algs that are mostly L moves. If you are dominantly right, find algs that are mostly R moves... And don't forget to figure out (on your own) the best way (for you) to perform the algorithm.

Yeah, my PLLs are a mix from cubefreak, cubestation and other ones! Smile

bonoan1027 wrote:
Stretch your fingers before a solve ( squeeze your fist for 5 seconds then open and close repeatedly ). This helps me a lot.

Hmm... Let's see...

bonoan1027 wrote:
Get enough sleep before the competition. I notice I cube better after 10-11 hours of sleep. Wink

I really love to sleep, so, don't think I'm going to rest less than 9 hours.

bonoan1027 wrote:
Practice
Goodluck!
-Enzo Bonoan

I'll practice and thank you. Smile

bonoan1027 wrote:
btw... do you know mat almeida? he's under Portugal as his WCA nationality
I don't know him personally. I came to this forum searching for "Mateus Almeida" @ Google (because he was only one of the two portuguese ever entering in a WCA Competition and he has GREAT times) and entered in a topic where he makes his presentation. I've already sent him an email, but he hasn't replied... Sad It would be really good if he said something.

tungkel_08 wrote:@ bonoan

enzo why don't you tell him your secret on memorizing algorithms????

@tharis

enzo gave me this tip "EAT A LOT OF PEANUT BUTTER"

it helps

LOL Peanut Butter?!? Sorry, but I'll pass.

Uff, What a HUGE post.

Thank you all, for your answers and PMs ( Smile )! That's why I really like this forum. Smile Hope someday I'll learn Tagalog to understand what you folks are sayin'. Smile

Regards
Tharis aka Francisco Huhn
Tharis
Tharis
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by neo_cuber Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:31 pm

First of all, I know most of the PLLs, only 6 missing...
Second, Thanks for badmephisto's site (I've already seen his videos @ YT and they're great) I didn't know he had a page. Smile
Third, CONGRATZ! Didn't know you speak portuguese! Smile (Or have you gone to Google translator? Razz)

@tharis

You're welcome! And it'll be nice if you learned our language... cheers
(it's easy to understand and similar to Spanish.. I think...)

Anyway, I don't speak Portuguese but I wanted to wish you luck in a language you're comfortable with..
(Yep, that's Google translator for you! bounce )

Once again, BOA SORTE! (Good luck!)
neo_cuber
neo_cuber
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-08-07

https://www.youtube.com/user/icebreaker0426

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content