Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What would happen if a Savant learned the cube?

5 posters

Go down

What would happen if a Savant learned the cube? Empty What would happen if a Savant learned the cube?

Post by sub1day Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:36 pm

Its been like a few days since this thing hit me. What would happen if say Kim Peek (savant, the rain man) learned the cube? First thing that came into my mind was that "waw! mamememorize niya yung 1211 LL algos in no time! like he'd memorize it in a few minutes or something" but then savants have poor motor skills. So even if he memorized all of them, he'd still have slow times. Then I thought maybe he'd be able to perform God's Algorithm (if such thing exists). Because if he does he'd OWN in fewest moves. Kim Peek is just one of the handful of savants that I've taken in consideration. I still have a lot of well.."ideas" on how a savant would perform in solving a cube.

But what I'm more interested on is what you guys think. Share your ideas I'd greatly appreciate them. Happy Cubing! Very Happy

sub1day
2x2x2
2x2x2

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Back to top Go down

What would happen if a Savant learned the cube? Empty Re: What would happen if a Savant learned the cube?

Post by papplazy Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 pm

Hmm... good question. I believe that savants would be able to learn,understand, and memorize algs immediately. They could be Ron van Bruchem's biggest competitors as well. Not all savants have poor motor skills. Take Thristan Mendoza for an instance. A savant who I am proud to call our own. A Filipino savant and a marimba prodigy. He can play fast, accurate and on time. With constant practice, I believe that he could be fast as hell in no time. The question is, how do you make a savant want to learn how to solve? It could be as hard as substituting a rock for water.

Just an opinion.
papplazy
papplazy
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 443
Registration date : 2007-12-26

Back to top Go down

What would happen if a Savant learned the cube? Empty Re: What would happen if a Savant learned the cube?

Post by Jome Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:32 pm

A little off-topic but I believe that the Fewest Moves Competition and God's Algorithm, though in the similar vein, are entirely different. For one, God's Algorithm basically states that there is a solution that exists for each of the 43 quintillion combinations of the cube which is always less than 27 or 28 (forgot the most recent value) as opposed to the FMC where you have to find a certain solution that is as low as possible.

Kung malabo, ang basic premise is this: in FMC, there might be singular solution that you follow, a formula or method if you will, and you still follow that no matter what scramble you are given. GA, on the other hand, is simply 43 quintillion algorithms, one for each combination possible for the cube (seeing that this is the 3x3x3). And no, not even the greatest of all savants will be able to memorize all those algorithms (or even the string of algorithms required to pull of such a feat).

===

Ang gusto ko lang sabihin dito is that no man can do the GA. Never. It's just physically impossible. Kahit yung 12,000 books na memorized ni Kim Peek is nothing compared to such a gargantuan number (Heck, kahit sabihin mong one million words per book yun, 12 billion lang yun, wala pa sa 0.1% ng 43 quintillion). Pero I do believe that savants can pull off FMC perfectly dahil they have a perfect grasp of patterns, which is the primary attribute of memorization. As for the question of motor skills, you don't need them for FMC, do you? Haha. You got an hour to do that, after all.

BUT: If there is a savant who can actually blend physical dexterity and mental ability perfectly, then I think there's a chance that a method where the LL is solved in one algorithm (basically memorizing all 1211 cases) can be pulled off. And that would be the day that millions of cubers will quit. Haha.
Jome
Jome
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-11-25

http://scarredpetal.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by iruel117 Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:51 pm

12,000 x 1,000,000,000 = 12 000 000 000 000 ho yan pls. correct ya if he can memorize all those position imagine him in a blindfold comp with practice and everything
iruel117
iruel117
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male
Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-12-10

http://profiles.friendster.com/iruel117

Back to top Go down

Post by Jome Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:45 pm

@iruel117

Wrong computation, dude. 12,000 books times a million words each is equal to 12 billion, not 12 trillion. Check the zeros.
Jome
Jome
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by benjediman Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:34 pm

@papplazy

Memorize and learn when to use it, yes. but understand, i wouldnt be too sure. yes they have supreme abilities to memorize and recall, they may even solve the cube using those algorithms. but understand how those algorithms work? i think we have a better chance at doing so. refer to this statement found in wikipedia:

"Most autistic savants have a single special skill while others have multiple skills. Usually these abilities are concrete, non-symbolic, right hemisphere skills as opposed to left hemisphere skills that tend to be more sequential, logical, and symbolic."

the skills they have are concrete and non-symbolic. numerical abilities still can fall under these categories: imagine savants having all numbers produced in their heads. they make it such that theyve already lined up every number in their minds, and when asked to do a certain operation like divide a number by 2, they just quickly select the number in their head thats halfway between zero and the original number. or thats what i theorize how they do it anyways.

but the important thing to note there is that they usually do not have improved logical and sequential abilities, which is probably what Jessica Fridrich used when manually looking for algs. giving a savant an unsolved cube will not produce in any time a solved cube unless he is learned of all algorithms he needs. intuition he most probably does not have (at the very most, have normal intuition ability of an average person, i.e. 100 in IQ).

although still i believe they can solve the cube using any method, BLD or not (except maybe ryan heise's method), IF they have memorized EVERY SINGLE POSITION OF THE CUBE.

i do wonder though, if they can easily distinguish color. or recognize even if this cube should go here or there or whatnot...

just my thoughts though. refutable Razz
benjediman
benjediman
2x2x2
2x2x2

Number of posts : 328
Registration date : 2007-07-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Jome Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:04 am

@benjediman

My thoughts exactly, which is exactly why I also believe that they cannot ever solve the cube using sequential moves, only through the use of recurring patterns that they had already memorized. Hence, no GA nor intuitive solves. If they use a method, well, yeah, they can pull it off. But even if they use Fridrich, they still have to deal with every possible combination that would appear in, say, F2L. And we know that F2L patterns are really more than just the 42 cases presented.

So, they might have the necessary prowess to solve the cube, but I highly doubt if they can indeed solve the cube. Haha. Refutable, yes, but hard to refute.
Jome
Jome
2x2x2
2x2x2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down